Posted in everyday, tagged everyday, fun, game, lyrics, meme, music, quick, random, tag on February 14, 2009|
2 Comments »
Still feeling out of sorts thanks to getting food poisoning this week. Ugh. In the spirit of feeling better though, here’s a tag/meme thing I found on Facebook. Comment and see how many you can get right!
1. Choose 20 of your favorite songs.
2. Post a line of the songs.
3. Have others guess the name of the song.
4. Bold the song when others have guessed it
5. No cheating by using Google etc.
1. I’m like a letter with no address
2. take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while
3. too young to hold on, and too old to just break free and run
4. her cheeks are rosy, she looks a little nosy
5. there ain’t no room in my bed as far as i’m concerned
6. would I die for you? I live for you, you know i do
7. we were just in time, let me take a little more off your mind
8. this fire is out of control, I’m gonna burn this city
9. every breath that is in your lungs is a tiny little gift to me
10. finding myself making every possible mistake
11. there she was, just walking down the street
12. lack fourteen dollars having twenty seven cents
13. if our love was just a circus you’d be a clown by now
14. Yoko brought her walrus
15. if I was walking in your shoes, I wouldn’t worry none
16. when he picks up trash he puts it in a garbage can
17. so just call on me brother, when you need a hand
18. give him his guitar, and he’d be happy all the time
19. I see no sense in this crying and grieving
20. I search the skies, desperately, for rain
Read Full Post »
Posted in 7 Things, tagged 7 Things, animals, charity, link, links, news, news stories, quick, random, science, yellowstone on January 4, 2009|
1 Comment »
photo by Katharyn Boudet
about a basset hound and an owl striking up a friendship while watching television just made my day when I first read it. Absolutely adorable.
Doomsday type news stories, like those about asteroids or the sun exploding one day in the future, don’t usually bother me at all. However, the quakes that are happening in Yellowstone right now? Totally freaking me right the heck out. Mostly because I watched a special on the volcano in Yellowstone on one of the science channels a long time ago. Remind me not to do that sort of thing.
This is an older story but it’s one I hadn’t caught until it was mentioned on end of the year list. I thought it was incredibly interesting – a man was diagnosed with a rare brain tumor and his life saved all because he shook hands with the right doctor.
I’ve heard of Soles4Souls at some point but I don’t think I ever knew what it was exactly. They’ve won a Guinness World Record and helped clean up a massive shoe spill of all things, so hopefully more people will learn about them and help them with their cause. They’re a charity that sends used shoes that might otherwise end up in landfills to people in need in Haiti.
I love the movie “My Neighbor Totoro.” I actually made a soot sprite for my boyfriend for Christmas. I was really sad to find out that the landscape in which it’s set is rapidly declining. It’s a beautiful place and the habitat is home to various species that are now in danger. Here’s another link about the efforts to save it.
When a couple of people inherited a garage from their uncle they had no idea that inside was an incredibly rare 1937 Bugatti – only 17 of these cars were ever made and this one’s odometer reading is only 26,284. That had to be a shock. I am now secretly hoping to one day inherit a Bugatti Veyron from some long lost relative.
Lastly, as a science major, this story really interested me. There may be a more natural way to stop the spread of malaria and dengue fever through mosquitoes by infecting them with an insect parasite. Basically, the parasite will cut the life span of the mosquito and therefore make it unable to incubate the malaria long enough to be able to pass on to humans. I really hope the results of the longer studies are promising because this can save so many lives in addition to reducing the need for insecticides made with nasty chemicals.
Read Full Post »
I see these lists all the time and I thought it would be fun to make one myself. So here are 10 things that you probably don’t know about me.
1. I was allowed to take the ACT while in the 7th grade and scored higher than the salutatorian of my sister’s graduating class. This is more a reflection on the school we went to than it is on me.
2. I dropped out of high school and got my GED because I was so miserable at public school.
3. Whenever I’m out for a drive on backroads and see a turtle in the road I pull over and move it to safety.
4. I had a pet earthworm when I was a kid. I named him Elliot. He lasted for about 2 days under my care, inside a peanut butter jar filled with dirt.
5. I was originally supposed to be a twin.
6. I cannot peel an apple. I don’t know if it’s because my hands are so small or just some sort of mental block.
7. I’ve always had such vivid and detailed dreams that when I was a kid my mom apparently believed I was making them up when I talked about them. (To her credit, she never mentioned this until I was an adult.) I could lucid dream before I knew what it was.
8. I’m under 5 feet tall.
9. I’ve ridden in the copilot seat of a helicopter. It was in the Smoky Mountains when I was a kid.
10. I’ve eaten goat cheese, crawfish, fried oysters, dove, and various kinds of sushi including eel, but I’ve never eaten a cashew, a Whopper or Big Mac, cranberry sauce, a chili dog, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Read Full Post »
Posted in 7 Things, links, tagged 7 Things, crafts, flickr, link, links, photos, quick, random, video, youtube on May 28, 2008|
Leave a Comment »
This dress! I found this photo in the Wardrobe Remix pool at Flickr and I fell in love. She sewed it herself from vintage towels. So clever and so pretty. The pattern of the dress and the pattern of the towels both make me happy. Very excellent work, wouldn’t you agree?
Twinings Tea – currently drinking the Prince of Wales blend. By far, my favorite brand of tea. Irish Breakfast, Lady Grey, English Afternoon… all so good.
Rock On by David Essex. I love this song. Can’t embed this video though. Or, if you’d rather, the version from Dream a Little Dream, which is where I first remember hearing it:
This photo print at Etsy.
DrawerGeeks. I keep forgetting about this place but it’s so good for inspiration.
This post over at Resurrection Fern’s blog. She used thimbles as vases for tiny flowers and then did a wonderful photo shoot. (I just discovered her blog recently and it is a crafty biology student’s dream blog, seriously.)
The Amateur Naturalist, a book I checked out from the library. I flipped through it last night before bed and I’m excited to try some of the experiments and to discover new stuff. I have a feeling several things related to this book will be blogged soon. (Full discretion – that link is an Amazon associate link.)
Read Full Post »