An easy craft to learn, needle felting is a satisfying hobby that can result in many varied creations. No sewing skills are needed and it’s a great craft for someone who considers themselves non-crafty.
I visit and review Stones River National Battlefield, the Carter House, James K. Polk’s former residence and the Athanaeum Rectory.
Still feeling out of sorts thanks to getting food poisoning this week. Ugh. In the spirit of feeling better though, here’s a tag/meme thing I found on Facebook. Comment and see how many you can get right!
1. Choose 20 of your favorite songs.
2. Post a line of the songs.
3. Have others guess the name of the song.
4. Bold the song when others have guessed it
5. No cheating by using Google etc.
1. I’m like a letter with no address
2. take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while
3. too young to hold on, and too old to just break free and run
4. her cheeks are rosy, she looks a little nosy
5. there ain’t no room in my bed as far as i’m concerned
6. would I die for you? I live for you, you know i do
7. we were just in time, let me take a little more off your mind
8. this fire is out of control, I’m gonna burn this city
9. every breath that is in your lungs is a tiny little gift to me
10. finding myself making every possible mistake
11. there she was, just walking down the street
12. lack fourteen dollars having twenty seven cents
13. if our love was just a circus you’d be a clown by now
14. Yoko brought her walrus
15. if I was walking in your shoes, I wouldn’t worry none
16. when he picks up trash he puts it in a garbage can
17. so just call on me brother, when you need a hand
18. give him his guitar, and he’d be happy all the time
19. I see no sense in this crying and grieving
20. I search the skies, desperately, for rain
Going to school full time and working on top of crafting and trying to have life is not for the faint of heart, that’s for sure. Most of the crafting lately has been for swaps and not much else.
Work has been interesting. I took a chance and there’s a possible good development in store as far as work goes. I won’t say more lest I jinx myself. School is going ok, I guess , but it’s hard to say yet. I may have to drop my 2 online classes since the bookstore doesn’t have the book I need for one class and because I’m already a bit behind in them and trying to find the time to actually do them. I am, of course, finding my history class fun, and I think psychology will show itself to be quite an interesting course.
Unfortunately, what all this means is that I’ve been neglecting this blog and not updating as often as I’d like. I’m going to try updating on a specific day of the week and see how that goes. Probably either Fridays or Sundays. It’s funny how the more things going on in your life, the more things you have to write about, the less often you have time to write. I’ve been neglecting a lot of things lately, really.
I think part of the crafty block I’ve had recently is because it’s been so long since I’ve made something just for me. I want to try to remedy that soon. Assuming I can find the time! I’m inspired with the swaps but once I’m finished with working on the projects for those I’m a bit blank for anything else to do. I need badly to add some things to the shop but that’s difficult to do when there’s nothing to add.
Speaking of craftiness and the shop and being busy – I am wanting to travel abroad this summer if at all possible. There’s a group that does a 4 week volunteering thing (technical term, right there) and one of the things you can do is go to Thailand and work with an elephant sanctuary. This would be, pretty much, a dream come true. The problem is that it’s waaaay more money than I can probably afford. Now, I’ll be able to pay off a couple of big bills when I get my student loan for this semester so I can make some headway into debt but I still don’t know that I could manage to do this. So, I’ve decided I’m going to try to get out of this craft rut and make things for the shop and put as much as I can from that into making this a reality. I don’t know that I’ll do it through this particular organization, though their package sounds amazing, but I want to do something similar through something. I don’t think I have the guts to do it on my own necessarily, I’d prefer to have some kind of group but I don’t know. Right now I’m going to focus on seeing how to afford it regardless of how I wind up going. It’s going to be several thousand dollars including airfare and such so it will be a big goal.
I’m also hoping the new development on the job front will help with this.
Wish me luck!
Have you heard of the 101 things in 1001 Days Challenge?
Well, I’m attempting it and have been for a while. I actually began this list on 1/2/08. The end date is 9/29/10. I’ve changed a few goals a bit since then and considered starting over but I’ve decided to keep the date because otherwise I feel like I’d have to ignore the things I’ve already done. Besides, a goal list should be a bit fluid, I think. Priorities change over time. (Also, I need to update totals on some of the goals.)
I plan to donate a dollar to SuperCheers on the 43things website for every goal I don’t accomplish in the time frame. Right now it’s about 6% complete not including partially finished goals.
Now for the list! (in no particular order)
1. get new contacts and glasses
2. give blood again
3. join DeviantArt and post at least 10 new pieces of work
4. be able to walk a mile in 16 minutes or less
5. Vote in the 2008 Presidential Elections
6. get a passport
7. learn to crochet
8. get my ring appraised
9. get laser hair removal
10. keep a job longer than 6 months
11. take at least 6 classes outside of college courses
12. get my rolls of film developed
13. beat Aaron at Scrabble
14. pay off at least 3 credit cards
15.Visit the Grand Canyon
16. visit 2 new states
17. complete project 365
18. participate in 100 words for at least 2 months (doesn’t have to be in a row)
19. get my bra measurements professionally done and then buy myself at least 3 pieces of well made lingerie
20. go on a road trip with no predetermined destination
21. play skeeball at least 20 times
22. Get my wisdom teeth taken out (if at all possible I may change this goal. dreading the very idea.)
23. fix my bicycle tire and then paint the bicycle
24. get my Ursula Vernon artwork framed
25. visit all the state parks in Tennessee
26. Make a quilt
27. handspin a full skein of yarn
28. reduce how much storage space i use/need by at least half
29. learn how to properly build a campfire
30. learn to tie at least 3 new kinds of knots
31. learn to swim
32. release at least 30 books into the wild through bookcrossing
33. read at least 101 books
34. Level a WoW character to 70
35. learn to play at least one song on a new musical instrument
37. sell at least 25 handmade things on Etsy
38. get an AA degree or an AS degree
39. join a CSA
40. get straight A’s for at least one semester in college
41. get the headliner in my car fixed
42. knit a hat
43. make a blanket for Project Linus
44. go to at least 3 church services of various religions
45. plant an herb garden
46. wear red lipstick (in public) at least 10 times 1/10
47. write a fully completed story or book
48. make at least 2 new real life friends
49. go see at least 6 plays and/or ballets/shows/concerts
50. travel outside the country
51. go camping
52. Sell a painting
53. fund a loan through kiva
54. make a dress, an apron, and a set of pillows using my sewing machine
55. run a mile in 10 minutes or less
56. join a group
57. build something
58. learn how to do 2 new crafts well and finish a project from each learned embroidery & needlefelting
59. draw every day for 60 days
60. take the 100 things drawing/photo challenge
61. visit my grandmother’s grave
62. have a real picnic with my picnic basket and a blanket
63. drink no soda for 60 days
64. eat no fast food for 60 days
65. get a professional massage
66. ride in a paddleboat
67. eat no red meat for 30 days
68. have 3 months of living expenses in savings
69. try at least 8 new dishes at restaurants 2/8
70. visit at least 3 locally owned restaurants that I’ve never been to 2/3
71. learn to identify ten native trees and plants
72. get all the proper licenses/legal/trademark stuff for my business
73. have flowers delivered to my mom for no reason
74. learn to identify 3 new constellations
75. keep a gratitude journal for at least 30 days
76. write a sonnet
77. keep a scanner daybook for at least 30 days
78. balance my account every night and stick to a budget for at least 90 days
79. grow my hair down to at least mid shoulder blade length
80. get a professional manicure or pedicure
81. go on at least 10 hikes
82. put the birdfeeder on a pole in the backyard and keep it filled for at least 60 days
83. donate at least $275 to charities and groups that I believe in
84. learn to mat and frame artwork and frame at least one piece of work
85. make paper and use it to mail letters to 5 people
86. buy an even better digital camera
87. eat in a Gordon Ramsay restaurant.
88. go without a computer for 14 days (allowed to check my email twice)
89. start a retirement fund
90. learn to cook at least 3 full meals
91. write/call my friends at least once a week for 8 weeks
92. make a new 101 in 1001 list to begin once the first 1001 days are over, including any items that I may not have accomplished from this list
93. buy the cats a water fountain
94. make a terrarium
95. make my mom a scrapbook
96. Donate 1 million grains of rice at Freerice.com 1690/1000000
97. participate in 100 swaps on swap-bot 38/100
98. put together a recipe book
99. lie in the grass and watch the clouds at least 10 times
100. open ended
101. open ended